In 2019, DAV provided a total of 470 drafts totaling $296,250 and roughly 370 Comfort and Hygiene supply kits. The kits – which include backpacks, blankets and hygiene kits – provide an additional resource for safety, comfort, and self-sufficiency in an extended emergency, disaster or evacuation. The hygiene kit includes basic necessities like a toothbrush and toothpaste, razors and shaving cream, hand sanitizer, deodorant, shampoo and soap.
Disaster relief efforts were conducted throughout Alabama, California, Florida, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, and Texas.
Since the program’s inception in 1968, more than $13 million has been disbursed to victims.
Contact a Member of our Communications Staff
By Phone: 859-547-3382
The above phone number is exclusively for press inquiries. If you are not a member of the press and you have a question about DAV’s services, please call 877-IAM-AVET or 877-426-2838
To be eligible for a DAV disaster relief draft and supply kit for an isolated or large-scale disaster, which is limited to one per family per disaster, the following criteria must be met:
- The applicant must be an ill, injured or wounded veteran or the spouse thereof (same household); or a surviving spouse in receipt of Death Compensation or Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC); or a surviving spouse of a former Prisoner of War (POW); or a surviving spouse of an ill, injured or wounded veteran whose life was lost in the recent disaster.
- The applicant does not need to be a member or in receipt of service connected compensation to be eligible.
- The applicant must be the victim of either an isolated or large-scale disaster.
- The applicant must be in immediate need of financial assistance, at the time of the disaster, as they do not have available funds to pay for acquired expenses. Example: Veteran is covered by homeowners insurance, but will not receive compensation from the insurance for the incident until several days out.
“With the assistance I received from DAV, which was within a short time frame, I was able to get shoes, clothing and needed items to be able to function and work once I was able to get there. It made me very proud to be a member.”
– Army veteran, Richard Dunn, Hurricane Harvey
“It helped us with food and everything. We just had a few things from our freezer, getting ready for winter time, and it all burnt.”
– Mark White, Rexford, Montana, Wildfires Disaster Relief
When disasters strike, DAV and its team of National Service Officers are on the ground to help our nation’s heroes. DAV provides relief through financial assistance as well as supply kits to veterans and their families so they can obtain basic necessities such as food, warm clothes and shelter. In 2019, DAV provided a total of 470 drafts totaling $296,250 and roughly 370 Comfort and Hygiene supply kits. Your gift will help ensure we are able to continue to support our nation’s heroes during trying times such as these well into the future.