DAV’s Mission Statement
We are dedicated to a single purpose: empowering veterans to lead high-quality lives with respect and dignity. We accomplish this by ensuring that veterans and their families can access the full range of benefits available to them; fighting for the interests of America’s injured heroes on Capitol Hill; and educating the public about the great sacrifices and needs of veterans transitioning back to civilian life.
This mission is carried forward by:
- Providing free, professional assistance to veterans and their families in obtaining benefits and services earned through military service and provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and other agencies of government.
- Providing outreach concerning its program services to the American people generally, and to disabled veterans and their families specifically.
- Representing the interests of disabled veterans, their families, their widowed spouses and their orphans before Congress, the White House and the Judicial Branch, as well as state and local government.
- Extending DAV’s mission of hope into the communities where these veterans and their families live through a network of state-level Departments and local Chapters.
- Providing a structure through which disabled veterans can express their compassion for their fellow veterans through a variety of volunteer programs.
The hard facts of history brought about DAV’s creation. But compassion and service have been the tools that made our organization what it is today.
DAV advocates for those men and women who defend the American way of life, and our leadership structure reflects that.
Keeping our promise to America’s veterans and their families, caregivers and survivors starts with DAV’s commitment to service.
For over 100 years, DAV has been advocating for better federal veterans programs, benefits, health care and transition services for the men and women who served, their families and survivors.
Here you will find DAV’s communications, internal and external, from our annual reports to downloadable graphics and posters that speak to the sacrifice and honor of our men and women who served. You’ll also find useful manuals, messages from our top leadership and simple instructions for handling our flag with care and respect.
Message from the National Commander
One of the things I love about DAV is that we’re not just life-changers; we’re lifesavers.… Read more
Message from the National Adjutant
Throughout my years with DAV, one thing remains abundantly clear: Our members have the power to change the lives of our fellow veterans. Read more