DAV Jesse Brown Youth Volunteer Scholarship
Each year, DAV honors young volunteers who demonstrate outstanding dedication and service to America’s veterans.
Volunteer service is at the heart of the DAV mission of helping empower more veterans to lead high-quality and fulfilling lives. From volunteering at the Department of Veterans Affairs medical centers to assisting veterans in local communities, DAV youth volunteers make a real difference in the lives of veterans. DAV offers $75,000 in scholarships annually to be used toward any accredited institution of higher learning, including universities, colleges, community colleges and vocational schools.
This college scholarship is open to volunteers age 21 or younger who have contributed a minimum of 100 hours credited through DAV or DAV Auxiliary. Students may apply with the inclusion of an essay on what volunteering for veterans means for them. Anyone can nominate a worthy candidate including the student/applicant.
- Scholarships can be awarded to any volunteer who is age 21 or younger and has volunteered for a minimum of 100 hours in service to veterans.
- Volunteer hours can be accumulated at a VA medical center, under DAV’s Volunteer for Veterans Program and/or the Local Veterans Assistance Program (LVAP). Hours must be credited to Disabled American Veterans.
- Scholarships can be used at any accredited institution of higher learning; to include universities, colleges, community colleges, vocational schools, etc.
- Scholarships must be utilized in full prior to the recipient attaining the age of 25, or within 6 years of receiving the scholarship, whichever is later.
- Nominations for this award may be submitted by the applicant, Voluntary Service Program Managers at VA medical centers, members of DAV departments and chapters, or friends and family.
If you need additional information please email us at [email protected].
$75,000 Awarded Annually
$20,000; $15,000; $10,000; $7,500(2); and $5,000(3)
February 28, 2022
The DAV Scholarship honors the memory of Jesse Brown
Jesse Brown was a former DAV National Service Officer and Secretary of Veterans Affairs. This award continues his legacy of service through its recognition of young people dedicated to serving America’s veterans.