Pro Football Hall of Famer Anthony Muñoz to Serve as Honorary Chair
CINCINNATI (September 9, 2013) — DAV (Disabled American Veterans) will hold its first national 5K event on Saturday, Nov. 9, in downtown Cincinnati to honor the nation’s veterans and raise awareness for veterans’ issues and programs.
Registration is now open at www.DAV5k.org.
Participants can walk, run, roll or ride a motorcycle on the 5K route, which will start and end at Sawyer Point along the riverfront in downtown Cincinnati.
“Our inaugural DAV 5K is the first of its kind to serve as the vehicle to give our neighbors the opportunity to thank veterans and their families,” said Marc Burgess, DAV National Adjutant and CEO. “It also is an opportunity to raise awareness of the issues our nation’s heroes face when they return home after service, especially when the number of disabled veterans is expected to rise from three million to four million by the end of the decade.”
Sponsors of the DAV 5K include: Harley-Davidson Motor Company, RR Donnelly, Veterans United, Horseshoe Casino, FirstLight HomeCare, Cincinnati VA Medical Center, Oxford Physical Therapy, Northern Kentucky University, Ethicon, Gold Star Chili, Fifth Third Bank, and Bob Roncker’s Running Spot.
Runners and Walkers
- Adult Early-Bird Registration (18 and older): $25 (Early-bird rate ends 9/15/13 at midnight)
- Youth Registration (6 to 17 years old): $10
- *Race bib, timing chip and technical shirt included in registration fee.
- Harley-Davidson Tribute-Ride Registration: $5
- *Race bib and pin card included in registration fee.
Veterans and Service Members
- All veterans, active-duty, reservists, National Guard members and cadets eligible for free entry that includes race bib and timing chip.
- Special $15 entry includes race bib, timing chip, custom branch of service Nike technical race shirt, VIP access on race day and invitation to post-party event. For custom branch of service shirt, participants must register by October 15.
- Handcycle and Wheelchair Inaugural Roll: Only 30 spots are available – restricted to veteran or service member participation only. (This is a non-competitive entry; participants must be able to complete the course within 15 to 20 minutes).
- FirstLight HomeCare Wheelchair Honor Roll: Immediately after all runners and walkers cross the start line, a special wheelchair start will embark where volunteers will assist veterans and service-members in wheelchairs along an honor course (for veteran and service-member participation only; wheelchairs will be assisted at a walkers pace).
DAV empowers veterans to lead high-quality lives with respect and dignity. It is dedicated to a single purpose: fulfilling our promises to the men and women who served. DAV does this by ensuring that veterans and their families can access the full range of benefits available to them; fighting for the interests of America’s injured heroes on Capitol Hill; and educating the public about the great sacrifices and needs of veterans transitioning back to civilian life. DAV, a non-profit organization with 1.2 million members, was founded in 1920 and chartered by the U.S. Congress in 1932. Learn more at www.dav.org.